RCU Forums - View Single Post - Intro to the Open Panzer Project - and a new Tank Control Board
Old 07-17-2018, 04:13 PM
LukeZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For module radios - that is radios which have a removable RF module on the back of the case which includes every 9X transmitter and variant ever produced - the protocol, be it AFHDS, AFHDS-2A or any other, is a function of the module that you have installed in your radio. The early Turnigy 9X radios were sold with a Turnigy brand module that operated under the old AFHDS protocol - HOWEVER, there is nothing stopping you from swapping out that module for a different one. I purchased my first 9X in 2011 and I still use it to this day and it remains my favorite radio. There has been no problem keeping it up-to-date.

The only reason it might be nice to find an AFHDS receiver that has PPM output is so that people who bought the original 9X wouldn't have to change the module in their radio in order to use it with the TCB. But just because that receiver doesn't exist (to my knowledge), doesn't mean you can't still use your 9X, old or new, with the TCB, you just need to put a module in it that uses some protocol for which SBus, iBus or PPM receivers are available. As you know a vast list is available on the Wiki, grouped by the protocol you may be interested in.

The 9XR Pro doesn't even come with a module so you'd have to buy one anyway. The newer 9X sold by Hobby King (since about early this year) comes with an AFHDS-2A module and a PPM receiver so it needs nothing else. For those with the older 9X, just swap the module out for something more recent, and again there are suggestions in the Wiki depending on how many channels you want.

The module that you linked is AFHDS-2A and there are several good receivers for it that are compatible with the TCB (as described in the wiki): including for example the FlySky FS-A8S but there are others. So yes, that will work just fine.