RCU Forums - View Single Post - How dead is our industry?
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 06:28 PM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default How dead is our industry?

First off let me say that I derive no income from the model industry.
Second let me say that I have rekindled my interest in RC Modeling
Thirdly let me say I am overwhelmed at how literally everything has changed in my 30 year absence

I visited three local flying fields today. Each one was large and beautiful. The layouts were similar. Similar this. Similar that. It seems we know and understand what RC Modelers want at the flying field

Here is what struck me hard. Not a soul at any of the sites. Not a person. Not a prop. Not a car. Not a field box. Zero. Nothing. Dead as a nut. All three sites had no people and seemed to have not seen any action in a while
Here is what stuck me also. No fuel on the neatly stacked starter benches. It was eerie. Like a ghost town that had once been thriving but now it is quiet with that feeling that is was once a beehive.

I am not looking for a field... fields can be had. I was hoping to find a club of the like minded.

Reading about the bankruptcies is sad. Finding ghost towns where there use to be RC Modelers is confirming. It is not the same world we had in the past. Peoples interests are in different things now days.

I hope a revival comes. It may and it may not. In not to many years we will all be gone and the industry we once knew and loved may be gone also.

Things come and things go. They ramp up and they ramp down. We have our memories and there are others with similar memories.

May your glow fuel be inexpensive and your propellers not break! Onwards. Life awaits!

Last edited by Lee Taylor; 08-25-2018 at 06:32 PM.