RCU Forums - View Single Post - How dead is our industry?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2018, 02:38 PM
JGalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
RC isn't dying, it has changed directions. No need for clubs when you have foamie park flyers and FPV "drones". A lot of it is the clubs are just too expensive. When a club was less than $50 per year it was affordable but when they cost hundreds per year and even hundreds more "initiation" they are pricing themselves into bankruptcy.
Perhaps lots of reasons...foam planes, quick results, self guided drones, kids who get entertainment using their thumbs etc and etc. My occupation required moving all over the country (& world) for about 30 years and there were sensational clubs and unfortunately, lousy ones too. A common thread of the lousy clubs over the years was the transition from thinking to feeling and the loss of focus. Some clubs who, rather than lowering excessive dues, actually looked for ways to give money away for non-club (or RC) related activities. Honestly, it made some of them feel good. "Let's give to the animal shelter, no, let's give to......whatever." Losing focus about why we are there in the first place. Imagine visiting a club with your child and being greeted with a very curt, "Here fill out this application, so and so is in charge and your turn to cut grass is next Saturday!" Think that is not real? Actually, just like an economy, cyclic expansion and shrinkage is healthy. I think we will come back stronger if clubs and members really evaluate their mission: Safely fly RC, camaraderie, assistance & sharing and most importantly, introducing our children into the wonderful world of RC. Just my two cents.