RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/6 F-105 Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 05:05 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Landing gear assessment.

I sat the main gear in the gear wells to have a look. At first look it does appear that the toe in angle is excessive. It is impossible to measure without mounting the wings since the whole airframe is compound curves and there is no straight line anywhere. I will have to get the wings mounted and then place the fuse on a center line and then compare the toe in with that line. This will require several steps first.

In addition to toe in, I discovered that the left wing is thinner in the gear mount area than the right wing. There is not enough depth to place the gear on the mounting rails. The inside of the top wing skin contacts the bottom of the left gear. Its not even close, almost 1/4" different between the two wings. Bob Rullie had the same problem. Still pondering how to fix this. You can grind away the Airex core material inside the top wing skin and it will be closer but we will see later.

The gear must rotate 45° as they retract and extend.

The angle of the rotation pin at the bottom left determines the rotation. To decrease the toe in this pin must be set more to the left (clockwise). If this is the fix it will require another aluminum block in the bottom left corner and a longer pin to engage the block. All not easy for me to do. Anyway first step is to get it all mounted.

Gear strut had no lube inside so I disassembled and added lube

Spring and sleeve was dry