RCU Forums - View Single Post - How dead is our industry?
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2018, 05:20 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

someone above mentioned ..." pick up your transmitter, find a good safe place to fly and go fly"",..........there-in lies the problem. there are no "good safe places to fly" around me and my local club of 7 members is not going to be able to support a designated piece of land big enough to fly from. if it weren't for one of the local club members donating a farm field, there would be no flying in the area. the changes are also coming from outside the hobby. insurance companies cringe when you mention the idea of using your personal land for a flying field and will do everything in their book of tricks to stop it from happening. IOW,.... the main problems don't lie with your neighbor not liking the noise,..... a mere group of flying enthusiasts don't have the meddle to rise up against an insurance company's threat to drop a guy if he lets a club use his property to fly on. the reason for the club member's donating land is because the previously designated farm was sold and the new owner's insurance would not tolerate the field to be used any more despite the AMA's coverage and the club's requirement of AMA membership.......insurance doesn't always solve all problems in this issue of where to fly and the AMA won't cover someone's whole farm because it contains a flying field.
some might call me one of those "nay-sayers",...but I think i'm not,....I am merely exposing the factual side of procuring some flying turf.