RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dumas Chris Craft help!
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2018, 04:21 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fleece3
I am building a Dumas Chris-Craft Mahogany Runabout. I am at the point where I am ready to start placing the mahogany planks. Anyone have any tips for me? I can't believe I have to install them one by one. Any tips are appreciated. Photos and/or video is a bonus!!
Thanks
Just to be clear, are these Mahogany planks going on the bare frames of the hull? Or do they go on an underlayment of balsa, bass or some other wood that's been applied and sanded smooth?

And while I think of it, the shape/type of hull dictates where the first plank goes and the order in which you lay them. Your hull I believe has four sections to it. Looking at it from the side you have from the keel up to the chine. And then you have from the chine up to the deck. And it repeats on the other side for a total of four sections. Each section will be treated or planked individually. Remembering to do the side to side matched parts at the same time. And without looking at it more closely, I'd start at the chine and plank down to the keel first. Then I'd go from the deck down to the chine. Once the planking contacts the chine at the bow, you will have to start trimming the planks to get them to fit properly. This trimming will be at the bow end of the planks where they contact the chine. Use complete planks as much as possible. Trimming and shaping only to make the plank fit easily. And doing the exact same thing on each side. So if you trim a plank on one side, it's counter part on the other side should require trimming also. And during all this, it's easiest if the hull is somehow tied down to the building board upside down. Having it tied down holds the structure straight and prevents warps being induced by the planks.

Last but not least, you will need clamps. Lots of clamps. The bigger the boat the more clamps you will need. I prefer the good old fashioned wood cloths pins with the spring. Inexpensive and last forever.

Last edited by Appowner; 08-31-2018 at 04:56 AM.