RCU Forums - View Single Post - Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2018, 09:08 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Hat-In-The-Ring= Eddie Rickenbacker's squadron, the 94th Aero Squadron. Would I be correct in assuming that is a Nieuport 28, the plane he flew during the span in which he got his first 6 kills and his "ace" status? BTW, those first six were two Pfalz D.IIIs, two Albatros D.Vs and two Albatros C.Is
Yes, Sir; it is intended to be a replica of the Nieuport 28 Rickenbacker first flew with the Hat In The Ring Squadron. FWIW, as is well known, the Nieuport 28 gained a reputation for shredding the top wing fabric in a steep dive. What isn't generally known is that occurred exactly twice; and no planes were lost or pilots injured. And both incidents occurred in the same squadron; the Hat In The Ring Squadron. Maybe the Americans were a bit more exuberant in their maneuvering than others?

And for contributing to the forum, here's a bonus clue. This should close out my question, as either you or Sparky should nail it down now. Thanks; Ernie P.

We all know German pilot Adolph Galland wrote a famous book “The First and the Last”. This question is about another pilot; one who can also claim to be The First and the Last.

What warbird aircrew member do I describe?

1. This pilot flew more than 100 combat missions.

2. His first combat mission was very nearly his last.

3. He was the only member of his flight to avoid being shot down on that memorable day.

4. Three pilots survived; and three died.

5. And in coming years he was haunted by the three that died; often talking about how they died.

6. He flew through the entire war.

7. From the very first day to the very last day.

8. Ironically enough, both battleships and aircraft carriers feature prominently in his wartime career.

9. On the first day and the last day of his war.

10. He was not an ace pilot.

11. Although he did fly fighters.

12. For the entire war.

13. In fact, after a bit of study, I can’t find any indication he ever shot down an enemy plane.

14. He is remembered simply because of the first and last days; and because he was there.

15. He flew in more than one war.

16. In fact, he fought in three different wars.

17. He started his first war as a fighter pilot; and ended it the same way.

18. He finished his career as Commander of an aircraft carrier.

19. In between the two, he flew combat missions in another war.

20. Yankee Station.

21. Gulf of Tonkin.