RCU Forums - View Single Post - Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 05:02 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Tico is a Navy abbreviation to the name Ticonderoga. In the same manner, Both Saratoga's were referred to as "Sara", both Lexington's were referred to as "The Lady Lex" or just "Lex", the second Independence was the "Indy", etc. It was something that actually started with the Lexington class carriers. Since they were almost identical, the Navy had to do some thing to make identification easier. Prior to WWII, the Lexington had a black stripe painted around the top of the funnel while the Saratoga had a vertical stripe. To help out the aircrews, Lex and Sara were painted on the aft end of the flight deck in large letters. This tradition carried on during and after WWII with the hull number being painted on the forward(and for a time during the war, aft) end of the flight deck and on the sides of the island. With all that said, not all carriers had that kind of nick name. The Enterprise was nick named "The Big E", Intrepid was "The Evil I" and, to add a little confusion, the second Lexington was also referred to as "The Blue Ghost". Anyway, below is a picture of the first carrier Saratoga showing both it's identifying markings.
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp489477660825616384.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	2261841
As far as the abbreviation CO, that's just the shorthand version of Commanding Officer. XO would be the Executive Officer, EO is the Engineering Officer, CAG would be the Commander, Air Group, etc. Back in WWII, it was common for everyone I just listed to be a Commander, other than the CO who was always a Captain on any ship larger than a destroyer. In the modern Navy, every one of those listed would be a Captain, as well as the Air Boss. By the time you add the admiral's staff, there could be as many as 7 captains aboard a modern carrier while it's deployed. Now, as to my comment about missing by one, "Captain" Daniels was relieved by Captain Weinel on July 20, 1963, 378 days after taking command on July 13, 1962.
Hope I didn't screw you up too much and that I helped your understanding of naval jargon

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 09-04-2018 at 06:16 AM.