RCU Forums - View Single Post - Good quality servo extensions
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 07:35 AM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thailazer
Since this is an old thread, are there any new suppliers of servo extensions that are providing gold plated connectors? All updates appreciated.

Some background: Had an issue on a plane yesterday where an aileron servo went hard down and just jittered. I was luckily able to land the plane and verify the servo was hard-over. Got the plane home and the problem existed for about a minute and just cleared up when I moved the wiring. Tested the servo extensively and it seems fine, so am suspecting the non gold plated Y harness that I had in the plane. Several club member have noted issues exactly like mine and recommended gold plated connectors.
No new mfgrs of servo extensions that I know of.
I always used the JR heavy duty extensions with gold pins and have never had a problem.
Since my previous post in this thread 5 years ago (post #12) I have had one more problem but not a regulator pigtail problem.
I was setting up a new airplane on the bench and noticed that one servo was jittering around neutral.
In checking this out I happened to pull on one of the extensions....not a JR extension....a well known HD aftermarket extension with gold pins.
The red positive wire pulled out of the pin with little effort.
In looking closely....the pin had never been crimped.
Of course I tossed the whole extension...and checked all the rest of them too!

Years ago I had some non gold plated connectors and they never caused a problem but I had previously put a slight amount of Deoxit liquid on each pin.
This stuff prevents corrosion and enhances conductivity.
That's too much hassle to do on every connector so I got rid of the non gold plated extensions/Y-harness etc and stopped thinking about it.

By the way....if you really need a Y-harness....try to get one with an integrated ckt chip....this will reduce noise overall.
If your radio will do it......use a mixer and get rid of the Y-harness....this is the best way.