RCU Forums - View Single Post - What's the attraction of diesel plane engines?
Old 09-08-2018, 09:40 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by N99JH
NO, not at all!
was an ardent believer in diesel engines and flew them extensively. After 4 crashes and numerous close calls due to rapid carbon build up in the combustion chamber and between the compression rings and pistons - I came to the sad realization that this concept is not working.
I also suspect that most people who are enamored with diesels, do most of the flying "on the bench" and not in actual airplanes. My experience is limited to Davis Diesel Conversions.
I'm the opposite, I don't have any conversions from DDD (apart from one or two for Cox engines) and only use dedicated diesel engines. I fly them regularly, but the fuel is getting harder to find here, so for everyday flying I'm using glow engines.

Perhaps you would have had a better experience if you had tried dedicated, non-ringed, diesel engines. These are every bit as easy to use as glow engines. In fact even easier to start and tune actually, and you never have to worry about any deadsticks from a poor tuning, the diesel engines will just continue to run even if they miss a little.

Here is a short example using a Modela/MVVS 2cc engine. This is one of the first outings with the engine and didn't want to push it too hard. The compression setting is therefore set a little low and you can hear it missing, but it will never accidentally quit on you.

Last edited by Mr Cox; 09-08-2018 at 09:46 AM.