RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hacker/Jeti Mezon 90/95 safety warnings
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 02:07 AM
Jason Arnold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bem
Hi,
I think it is wise to follow Hacker own recommendations to not use Mezon 90/95 in an F3A plane.
I burned one Mexon 90 (with BEC) in 2016 as You can see in my photos above in post #7.
Although I have used a new Mezon 90 since that, in 2017 and 2018 seasons, that has so far not burnt up I probably use it on borrowed time so to speak.
Better safe then sorry, so at least I'm going to change to another ESC for next season.

After all Hacker say in their warning to not use it for our F3A flying.
Hacker write, as mentioned in earlier post:

"Information from Hacker Motor Service
Dear customers, there are still failures and fires of Master MEZON 90, Mezon 90 lite
and Mezon 95 opto
controllers when used in F3A models.
The reason is as follows: These controls are all too small for use in an F3A model!"

Hacker has obviously got reports and evidence from F3A flyers to make the descision and publish above info.

Obviously it does not matter that it is rated for 90/95 amp continous and You stay under that value during flight.
I have no depth knowledge in ESC's but I have been told that it is not at full power the risk is greatest to fry an ESC but it is at lower power settings like half throttle and such (my Mezon 90 burned at half throttle). If any knowledable person can explain how lower power usage creates greater risk for ESC failure it would be valuable.

/Bo
I looked for the Hacker information on not using these controllers in F3A but had no luck.

MOSFET's are most efficient when fully turned on. This is where their "on resistance" is specified. At lower settings (or switching frequencies) they will develop more heat (higher on resistance) and are less efficient.

Regards,
Jason.