RCU Forums - View Single Post - Field maintenance question
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 06:00 PM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the seven people in my club are literally all the people in this area that fly r/c.....the club can't get any bigger, it's been that size since I can remember learning about the club 20 some years ago. fortunately we all do our share no matter what it is that has to be done, so there's no reason to tabulate who did what and who earned what dues credit. my archery club, of 250+/- members, uses the two level dues approach, where there is a "working member" who pays 45 bucks a year and is expected to put in 10 hrs. club work a year and is asked to ay ten dollars an hour for the hours under ten that he did not work and a "non-working member" who pays 10 dollars an hour more up front for not having
to work the 10 hours,..... believe it or not,.... people complained about having to pay more dues up front because they decide not to work, several refuse to re-join when they find out they have to pay the work hour fee.....this despite knowing about the rule when they first joined (we make absolutely sure every new member gets a brochure that explains the club work dues rules) it's a loose -loose situation...... it's hard to comprehend someone thinking they are getting ripped off because they don't want to contribute to the club's work needs. and the crazy part is that 90% of the "work" is bartending and 'BSing and/or grilling and 'BSing for the club's 12-14 functions a year ( some are big,...we are the host for the Badger State Games indoor and outdoor tournaments, the State Indoor Championship and a few other big 3d tournaments and there are indoor leagues all summer and all winter that need to be manned), believe me when I say it is very easy for the 250 members to get their hours in !.. and when you work a function, beer and food are free to the workers !..... and of course,....someone always complains about the workers not having to pay for their beer and food,.......you literally cannot win for trying !. by the time I was done with my term as President, I was happy it was over!. everybody wants the big tournaments, everybody wants the recognition they bring the club,.... but very few want to put in the effort it takes to have that happen.
when you consider that about 10 percent of the membership does 95percent of the club's work, it takes a big membership to keep the core workers from feeling burnt out and taken advantage of, all the time.