RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Poop has hit the fan !
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 11:40 AM
fourstar40
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
None that I know of .
However , one small clarification is in order here with your post ;

Not a single hobby drone has been registered thus far . The FAA is registering hobby based drone pilots and not the drones themselves . The FAA has our names and addresses , and have no database covering which particular drone(s) we are flying . My drones are pretty much exclusively models of WW1 and WW2 era airplanes , your drones may well be FPV multirotor types , or RC Zeppelins , and to the FAA we're both drone pilots with no distinction being made as to the exact drone each of us happen to be piloting .

It's my belief that when folks go citing the Constitution in their complaints of government overreach , it's the maintaining of a database that causes them the most consternation . When one stops to realize that the database was began with the very first Social Security number issued and has grown exponentially in the modern electronic age , the precedent is well established of the feds keeping lists of citizens . Now , citing the possible nefarious use of our leisure time toys , the fed's view is that the perfect excuse to maintain a database of us has been established , even though the bad guys won't be the ones with their names registered with the FAA . Honestly I don't worry too much about government lists , having worked for the government at one point in my life they already have all the info on me they'd ever need
This is what the deal was when I registered three years ago. The person was registered not any particular rc model you have. However, I went to the FAA site to see about what it will take to renew my FAA card. I didn't see anything about renewal but clicked on the link for registration. It asked for the manufacturer, the model and the serial number of the drone you have. This confuses me. Are those who only fly traditional models planes and helis not required to register? This puts a real strain on my brain. It was for hobbyist by the way. The professional registration was a different link.