RCU Forums - View Single Post - Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 10:26 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
The prototype at the end of the Blue Max is suppose to be the Dornier - Zeppelin D.1. At least it was the D.1 prototype test flight the scene was based on. The D.1 killed Wilheim Reinhardt who had assumed Richthofen command after he was killed. Hermann Goering flew first test flight of the D.1 and it was suppose to be grounded for structural upgrades. Reinhardt took it for a test flight and the top wing failed killing him. Goering was his replacement as commander of JG 1. I have a partially completed project of a small scale D.1. I fell in love with this Ugly Duckling's radiator. Here is where the plans are: DORNIER D.1 38? Plan386

One of the prototypes from 1918
I think you missed something, FlyerInOKC. The Dornier-Zeppelin D.1 was a biplane; not a parasol wing monoplane. There was (after the war) a parasol wing plane (the Do H Falke) developed from the D.1. But the plane in the movie was a dressed up 1930's era Morane 230 parasol trainer. Your recounting of the death of Wilhelm Reinhardt was spot on, though. Thanks; Ernie P.

From Wikipedia:
The Dornier Do H Falke was a German single-seat fighter, designed by Claude Dornier and built by Dornier Flugzeugwerke. Although an advanced design for its time, being evaluated by the United States Navy as the Wright WP-1, it did not go into production.The company started to design a prototype fighter in the early 1920s, based on earlier wartime designs like the Zeppelin-Lindau D.I.

It was an all-metal high-wing cantilever monoplane, with the wing above the fuselage on four small struts. It had a conventional cantilever tail unit and a fixed tailskid landing gear. The pilot had an open cockpit just behind the trailing edge of the wing. The aircraft was powered by a Hispano-Suiza piston engine located in the nose. Two aircraft were built by the Swiss subsidiary of Dornier and three by S.D.C.M.P. in Italy, to avoid restrictions on military aircraft production in Germany. It first flew on 1 November 1922, but failed to go into production. One of the Falkes was converted to a floatplane in 1923, powered by a 261 kW (350 hp) BMW IVa V-12 engine, as the Dornier Seefalke.

One Seefalke was shipped to the United States of America by the Wright Aeronautical Company, who fitted it with a licence-built Wright-Hisso H-3 engine. It was evaluated by the United States Navy with the designation Wright WP-1. It performed well, but the Navy considered the monoplane fighter too advanced for its needs.

Last edited by Ernie P.; 10-18-2018 at 10:30 AM.