RCU Forums - View Single Post - Rimfire motor mystery?
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 05:08 AM
scattermaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rimfire motor mystery?

So,
I've been running the Rimfire motors for the last 3 or 4 years because that's what all the fastest guys are running. Along with the rest of their power set up.
The motors usually run normal when they're new, but sooner or later they all seem to develop a noise. When running on an airplane it sounds like a growl.When I have one out of an airplane and hold it up my ear, it makes a clicking/ticking noise. I've been told by more than one person that it's my bearings. Well, I've bought bearings from 3 different suppliers and changed them out numerous times and it never seems to fix the noise. I always end up giving up and just buying new motors. I'm getting tired of that. Does anyone know what's going on with these motors?
Bearings?
Last night I decided to try an experiment. I took all 3 ball bearings out of a motor and made some bushings out of a ptfe/acetal plastic to take their place. The fit on the bushings is perfect, there is NO side play.
To my surprise, the noise is still there. I can turn the motor slowly and in one spot there is a definite click. So it would seem like a magnet is moving but it doesn't click everywhere in the rotation (like 360 deg) I have taken a knife blade and pried on the magnets and I can't make any of them move.
There is a fairly large space between the magnets and the armature, so it seems highly unlikely that they are hitting.
Does anyone have any ideas?
thx,
Jim

Last edited by scattermaster; 10-19-2018 at 05:13 AM.