RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/7 Scale Blackburn Buccaneer All Composite Scratch Build
Old 10-29-2018, 03:37 AM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

Gary,

I consider my plywood find a major triumph, both for quality and cost.

I was having trouble laser cutting the thicker (1/8") plywood and after a lot of research I found that the glue normally used to make plywood is not compatible with laser cutters. It just chars and absorbs the energy so you don't get a clean cut.

I eventually found a manufacturer of custom plywood that makes plywood using melamine glue which is laser compatible.

AIRCRAFT PLYWOOD MFG.

They can make the plywood from 1/16" up and in a wide range of wood types. They are MIL Spec rated and used on full size aircraft too, so great quality.

Initially I ordered a sheet of 1/8" all birch 5-ply and it was great. Cuts well on my laser cutter. Minimum order is a 4ft x 8ft sheet, but he will cut it down to 2ft x 4ft for shipping. I then take the 2ft x 4ft sheets to Lowes/ Home Depot and get them cut into 24" x 16" sheets to fit my laser cutter bed.

For the plug I ordered 1/16" 3-ply birch laser friendly (melamine) plywood. I think I used just over 4 4'x8' sheets for all the bulkheads.

The best thing about this supplier is that even though they are a custom ply manufacturer, the prices work out to be less than half what we normally pay, per square foot, from our usual 'hobby' suppliers.

I am phasing out all of my other plywood and migrating to these folks when I need more.

No hesitation for recommending this place for anyone that needs quality plywood.

Paul

Last edited by JSF-TC; 10-29-2018 at 07:57 AM.