RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito FG-20 or 21
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 12:58 PM
forrest gump

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acdii
Glow would destroy the carburetor. If you keep the ignition system and swap out to a glow carb, then you get more power and better fuel use, but trying to run it as is with a glow plug instead of the ignition will fail .
Ok,just wondered what the carb(diaphragm etc) was made of you see.If it was unaffected by methanol then it might work as the needles are still too sensitive ,even when supposed to be designed for petrol..weird really for Saito to do that.Yes I have read somewhere that you can run on glow with the spark plug and timing stuff on and it gives 5% more power,Ironically. ..That would be nice.As i said earlier I have converted a Saito 72a to petrol and its rips around in a Kyosho Calmato lowinger.It gives nearly 1.1HP instead of 1.2,or at least over 1hp so like a saito 62 really.All i did was make a gasket of about 0.4mm to put under the head and change the spray bar and needle valve to whats in a saito 14c and it tunes very well.Idles at 2200 and gives about 10200 on a 12.5x6 Bolly prop.Obviously its got a RCEXL ignition system and magnet ring/pickup etc..etc.. I have a saito 14c and fg-11,I have run the 14c and it goes well once I had re-learned the tuning for their petrol's as i learned from re- building the carb on the 72a that the idle needle drastically affects the top end tune at all times as the idle needle still covers the split in the spray bar where the fuel comes out of into the intake manifold.Once I had got this then the 14c purred like a kitten.I am ready to give the fg-20 a go but just got all sweaty from reading here!Maybe I should not have bothered reading and just done it.I have checked,my fg-20 has a new type spark plug in with no label,and a small center punch dot on the carb behind the fuel intake ,not where it shows on the pics here but maybe they put them in a few places..I hope so.

If the ignition plays up then i will get the RCEXL setup like on my 72A but I understand the hall sensor setup for the fg-20 has an offset sensor to allow for the 28deg timing BTDC that the RCEXL unit uses,unlike the original saito big bulky sensor...if I have read correctly.And if the carb fails I might get a proper petrol one ,or glow one and run it on glow...For the financially interested, i paid £145 for it, so about $188 for a BNIB Saito FG-20....we will see,fingers crossed....FG