RCU Forums - View Single Post - Transmitter question for Jet RC aircraft
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 06:14 AM
Factorypilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raron455
HMM,,,, Ali Machinchy is probably one of the best RC Turbine Pilots on the world, Definitely Professional Level. What radio do you see in his hands,, It aint a Jeti.
The Jeti has a lot of functions that spektrum does not have, their telemetry options are nothing short of amazing for sure,, but I have also seen mass confusion from tons of guys trying to figure their Jetis out too. I thought about switching a couple years ago, a jeti distributor was advertising a 10% sale on all Jeti items, when I called and was going to order, I found out that sale did not cover the transmitter, and after talking with the rep who was not very helpful or polite, take that as well as each brand has its own proprietary receivers as well, having multiple airplanes buying a new radio and all new receivers will be a hard hit. I decided that was not a route I wanted to pursue.
Each brand has its pros and cons. Spektrum has had a few stinkers with new products when they hit the market the big rx recall, and the issue with RF strength on the stealth series Transmitters, I think they learned from that, at least I hope they did.
It all comes down to what you feel comfortable with and trust. I am a Spektrum Guy, I started with DX6, then an 8, &9. When I got into turbines I started looking around for what radio most pilots had in their hands, and that brought me to the Dx-18G1, I now have HUNDREDS of flights with my DX-18G2. My next step will be to a DX-20. I have had a few issues with my radios thru the years, the plastic trim tabs breaking being one of them (I have no Idea why they keep using them, I upgraded to an aluminum aftermarket set) and the menu roller wearing out,,I had a rudder input on my first G1 DX-18 that would not center, that almost cost me an airplane. I have put a few holes in the ground , but I have NEVER lost a plane that had me suspecting my Transmitter. I also keep in mind that these toys we fly are controlled by electronics, and electronics can always fail at any point, no matter who makes them. The few times I have ever had a transmitter issue and had to send it in, Horizon has been world class in taking care of it, very quickly, and I have Never paid a Dime and that generates Brand Loyalty. just my 2cents...
Great information; thank you. With respect to Jeti, I was curious about some of the things you mentioned concerning receivers, servos, etc. so I'll be looking into that. I too have heard of some issues (specifically brown outs) with the Spektrum, but even so there seems to be a favorable disposition towards the DX-20. I'm interested in product support after the sale, so I'll be researching that as well. Jannica mentioned waiting for the new stuff from Power core, but newer technology is a double-edged sword and I usually don't purchase unproven platforms in any venue. I'm just looking for something that is going to be reliable with great features and support. Very helpful information, I appreciate it.

Last edited by Factorypilot; 11-11-2018 at 06:20 AM.