RCU Forums - View Single Post - Huge fan of glow power!
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 02:45 PM
Multi-Engine Guy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default O.S. engine liners weak?

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I wouldn’t run an OS very hard. They are not designed to take abuse. Their liners are too fragile IMO. Put a real chrome liner in it and then go to town. Really though, they’re sport engines with modest (at best) timing. Not worth the effort of a tuned exhaust IMO. Get a SuperTigre and put a thinned spraybar in it and run a tuned exhaust. Then WATCH OUT.
I would have take exception and disagree with you if you're referring to all O.S. engines.
I have personally only used pipes on O.S. 46sf ABC's.
None others.
But I have been using these (O.S. 46sf ABC) engines for years with pipes and have never had one, not one that I have personally used in my planes, have a liner issue
My very first 46sf ABC, which stands for Aluminum, brass, CHROME, Has been a regular flyer since I bought it new in 1989.
. And it's still a regular flyer! Sure, I have had to rebuild it numerous times, but only to replace worn out bearings .
After a rebuild, they're like brand new again.
I really believe that this one of the best engines O.S. ever produced!
I now own 11 of them. And of these 11 engines,
I have only one of these that has a liner problem, and it is an engine that I recently purchased used. I have never started this one yet.
I noticed the problem during the break down.
I normally always overhaul a recently purchased used engine just to make sure everything thing is good.
This particular engine had obviously ingested something,
as the damage was gouging, not peeling.
As far as Super Tiger engines, I have stayed away from them, as most of the people that I know who used them, seemed to be replacing them often.

Last edited by Multi-Engine Guy; 11-19-2018 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Misspelling