RCU Forums - View Single Post - Everything I enjoy about the hobby is crumbling.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:14 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I know what you mean. I usually put my heart and soul into my build as well. it's actually hard for me to build something just slapping it together so I can fly it....it's got tool as perfect as I can make it. it makes it hard to risk crashing the plane. when I was a kid my buddies dad built lots of planes that I thought were sort of "crudely built" ,.....maybe he had the right idea,.....Just hammer them out and put them in the air. he flew them all,...alot,.....they all flew just fine and he probably had a lot more fun flying them than someone like you or me. maybe it's the difference between " builder" and a "flyer" although he was certainly both. there are guys that fly what they build and guys who build just because they want to fly.
Those that don't care seem to have more fun; the problem with perfectionism is that one is never truly happy with the outcome of any task - it can always be done better. Acceptance is as close to happy as it gets.

I see kit building on the rise right now. Laser cutting has enabled several cottage industry kit cutters to spring up. This makes me very happy as when I started in the hobby most of our products came from cottage industry manufacturers.
Had a look around; started taking note and pleased to find some of these even just recently: The Balsa Workbench, Old School Model Works, Alien Aircraft, Lazerworks, and Eureka Aircraft Co.

While searching wheels and pilots - even found Williams Brothers Model Products as their own entity.