RCU Forums - View Single Post - the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless
Old 12-19-2018, 02:59 AM
Darron16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Captains .In reply to a question from Dauntless fan. You are correct I did use Styrene to make my window blinds. Also my window frames and the window glass itself are all made from Styrene. As is many other parts like my seating frames I also laminated the inside of my wheel house with it as well as the the stern well Anywhere where access was difficult to prepare for painting I find it a very good materiel to use for modelling even the frame for my swim platform is made from Styrene except for the planking of course, that's a red hardwood. Most of my Styrene is from evergreen scale models however here in Spain been an American import the prices are a bit silly here For cementing Styrene to styrene I use Revell liquid plastic cement witch more welds your work together as opposed to actually sticking pieces together however to laminate Styrene to wood That is a little more difficult I tried several methods until I found using super glue Gel the best way to do this, and found lightly scrubbing the Styrene surface with sandpaper made for a very strong bond on a test piece I could not separate the styrene from the wood without destroying it . By the way liquid super glue dose not work the wood just sucks up the superglue it has to be the Gel if you want to try this yourself s? anybody out there that knows a better way to bond styrene to timber I'm all ears so do please let me know .Thanks also for the kind comments regards to blue wheel house cover Actually Yes its again sheeted with styrene but it was not my initial plan. my first attempt was to be honest a complete disaster. I wanted to use a fabric to simulate canvas try as I might I could not get it looking right and learned I am useless with a needle and thread. In the end out came some very thin .5 mm styrene sheet. and to try to make it look like canvas I used a latex paint and applied it with a sponge household radiator roller thinking that would give it some texture? It did not quite come out as I intended but I think passable? if you could have seen my attempt at covering it with fabric you all would have fallen over with laughing Loll

Last edited by Darron16; 12-19-2018 at 03:03 AM. Reason: made a mistake sent same reply 2 times