RCU Forums - View Single Post - Heng Long Abrams "Henntec track tensioner" review
Old 01-04-2019, 08:21 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyBird69
I think you will be seeing more of these kind of issues as more of us start building modern armor where the focus is less on torque and more on speed...I’m currently in the middle of a T90 build and while not going for a total over-the-top terrain brawler like your Builds I did want a bit more emphasis on speed. While I did upgrade to metal roadwheels & rollers/w bearings as well as motor plate and steel 3/1’s with bearings running on 8.4v. Li-Ion. Will be(for now) running plastic tracks,idlers,and sprockets to keep sprung weight down, plus as I see it, as there is no need for scale “sag” on modern tanks metal tracks are somewhat less necessary......but we’ll see how she runs..
The T90 is a fun tank and worth getting off topic to talk about, it is still one of my favorites to drive. It has a few design issue (as an r/c model) that hold its performance back though. In off road performance it has very low ground clearance and "high centers" easily in moderate to rough terrain. Further hampering the T90 off road is the limited suspension/road wheel travel. For speed it is held back by its sprocket which is smaller in diameter than those on the Abrams, Leopard 2 and Challenger 2. I converted my T90 to run a Leopard 2 sprocket (paired with Abrams/Leopard 2 tracks) which noticeably improved its top end speed.

I am not a huge fan of the T90 with metal tracks be it HL, DKLM or Mato. They perform no better on or off road and the plastic have proven pretty tough in my use. I have only broken one, which took 5 minutes to fix, re-install and be back running. If you want the extra weight of the metal tracks for more contact pressure it is just as easy to add weight to the inside of the tank to achieve this, plus you can place the internal weights throughout tank to achieve a better overall front to back balance. Better balance will improve high speed cross country performance and general handling.

^^^^^ T90 with hybrid plastic/silicon track pads on obstacle course. vvvvv

Last edited by Fsttanks; 01-04-2019 at 08:31 PM.