RCU Forums - View Single Post - LOCKHEED P-38J “LIGHTNING”. A giant 1/4 scale scratch built model
Old 01-18-2019, 05:03 AM
fbielsa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both engines were simultaneously run in out of the model recreating the final position, that is, on a separate double bench similar to the plane, upside down and distant from each other as they are mounted. The process was carried out at around 44 oF (7 oC) of ambient temperature, until 8,5 us fl oz (250 ml) of special run in oil supplied by the manufacturer was consumed. This allowed me to make an impeccable fine adjustment, managing to set the carburetor needles of each motor in the same position.

The last tank was consumed with the TwinSync® controlling the system, to check its own FailSafe and the rest of settings, so I could experience the coupled sound so characteristic of the two engines working in perfect synchrony, with a difference of less than 30 rpm to any regime! Actually the device is impressive.

Although the provocation of a signal loss and the stop of an engine produce the expected response, that is, setting the rpm at the preset idle, I opted to have full control of the electronic ignition by two PowerBox SparkSwitch® optocoupled switched by a transmitter channel. As I mentioned previously, the LED indicator for each ignition is located under the fuel filler trapdoor, next to the choke lever, both of which are visible when they remain open during the start-up time. Each circuit has a 2450 mAh battery.