RCU Forums - View Single Post - LOCKHEED P-38J “LIGHTNING”. A giant 1/4 scale scratch built model
Old 02-15-2019, 09:51 AM
fbielsa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The P-38 had a natural aluminum paneling with some parts of steel, so getting this finish is not easy. We must avoid the attractive "shiny silver" finish that, in my opinion, leaves an unrealistic metallic surface (unless we want to reproduce the flashing P-38 of the sponsored Red Bull, of course).

Due to my inexperience with the use of coatings type Flite-Metal® or Aero-Foil®, I opted for the use of automotive metallic paint and can, thus, reproduce the flush rivets "almost like real" (those applied on those metallic coatings seem to be slightly low relief, which is not correct for this model).

The multiple access covers are made from very thin self-adhesive printer film, applied after the first layer of primer, which is previously sanded to reveal and correct imperfections. Two additional primer layers have been applied and painted with metallic Besa-Val 6021® satin "white aluminum" system (RAL 9006), which provides a very strong natural aluminum finish, especially if we shade it with sandpaper of 2000 grain.

Thanks to my friend Alberto Barrios, I could do the painting personally on a professional paint booth. A great chance at my fingertips.