RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scale military build (I hope)
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 07:41 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy crap it's been over 4 years since I started this project god does the time fly. I gave up making the body from styrene sheets as that was a flop. Turns out I suck at forming the stuff. Also didn't help the stuff I bought was quite thick, and hard as hell to bend, and would warp badly when it shrunk.

Anyways I'll do a few update as I've started working somewhat seriously on this monstrosity again.

1st I finally got a spur gear for it, and hooked up electronics so it does move now this was a big hangup as I tried 5 spurs, and all were hitting the drive shaft. It was some traxxas spur gear I had to attack with my old trusty dremel I had to remove the nubs off the back, and make the holes slightly larger(about 2-3mms) as they were JUST barely off in size from the scx10 spur mounting holes

2nd I re-started making the body as I now have a 3d printer, and for the past 2 years or so since I got it I was looking for files for a deuce body for it, and finally found one someone made 3 months back, and have been scaling it to fit my truck(guy made it for a traxxas model), and printing it slowly. Most of the cab is printed/assembled, but still needs some bondo to smooth it out, and fill in some of the gaps so I'll have to wait till it gets warm out. Planning to start the rear cargo area soon.

3rd had to figure out how to mount the cab to the chassis specially as it hits the gearbox ended up printing a half moon type cover for the gear box with a groove, and cut a area out of the cab so it can slot in. Still need to do the front mounts which I'm planning on being magnetic which are the purple posts I need to make a piece in the body to allow me to mount metal to it so they have something to grip as it is kinda rounded.

4th I cut down every link some as I changed out how the shocks, and links attach. I made new clamps(I guess it would be called that) which go around the Wheely King axel to make it mount more like a SCX10's.which also fixed a lot of the issues it had with the links angles being too sharp where it had issues moving.

5th Replaced the shocks short RS4 shocks I screwed into the chassis rail with the rears shocks off a MT2 as they are quite a bit longer, and also added 3d printed shock towers so now the axles can move more.

So yea that was mostly the past few weeks of work so hopefully it will be done sooner then later as most the hard stuff is done.

Note the muticolor stuff is due to running out of filament, and the place I was buying filament is now a 40+ miles away drive, but who the hell cares as it will all be painted in the end. Been buying some off Amazon, but the purple stuff so far is the only one I like, and extrudes properly.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 02-22-2019 at 07:44 PM.