RCU Forums - View Single Post - Skyshark Dauntless Build
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 07:02 PM
chistech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This picture shows the underside of the retract cover with the angled sides and the holes for the retaining screws in each side.

This picture shows how the allen head screws are accessed through the door when the retract is open.

Gerry painted the struts, retract covers, and the wheel wells insignia white. He had originally painted the wells chromate green thinking that was the correct color like most WWII USA birds but the Dauntless was all painted the same color of the wing bottom and in this case, it's white. He also painted the fuse stars and bars along with the number "2" for the "Ace Of Spades". I reinstalled the covers and using fine wire, secured the turnbuckles from turning by putting the wire through the barrel and the end. This should keep the doors in the correct position.
I decided to put the on/off/charge switch in the cockpit alongside the pilot seat rather than putting it in the fuse side. I made a ply box and set it in at an angle similar to the right side panel. Because the glow plug access is difficult do to the cowl mounting block, I'm thinking I'm going to put in on-board glow. If I do, the charging jack will also be in the cockpit.
Going to start installing everything tomorrow to see what the weight and balance looks right. I imagine the weight will be up there some but we'll see. The wing is virtually the size of my BT Kingfisher and that weighs in at 10.5 and flies great so we'll see on this dauntless.

On a side note: Gerry surprised me with a nice framed photo of the Ace Of Spades to go along with the model when it's done.