RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 03:11 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kim Couturier
Thinking about getting fir just a fun, throw in the car turbine. I've read so many different threads about the falcon 120.. you have a ton of mods to.....you don't have much to do.....you can fly it on a 60 size turbine as is....all very confusing. I have a chance to pick up a nib falcon 120, for a very good price. I woukd put a K60g in it. Does this combo really need any mods other than hardware?
I have had 5 Falcons. The first one I flew without mods.
First landing knocked the LH main out of the wing, mounting blocks and all. Very little glue on them.
Next to come adrift was the nose gear,,, mounting blocks and one of the formers it sits in came loose. Glue problem.
I then removed the U/C mounts and replaced them with extended hardwood blocks properly glued in.
I removed all of the fuselage formers and re-glued.
Later (early version) Falcons have had the covering removed from the wings which were then fully sheeted and recovered.

So, fly without mods? Maybe, if it is a version 1 then at least re-glue the UC mounts.
Fly on a K60? Again, maybe, off hard surface no worries, Grass might require a longer takeoff run but once airborne it will fly happily on 6kg.
Would I get another Falcon 1.20 if I found one. Definitely.

My latest is a Version 1 with U/C mods and wing sheeting mod. Fuse formers removed, some discarded, others re-glued. Conformal tank fitted.
Engine is a K100 kero start which gets it off our grass strip easily and flies easily on low throttle settings.

Col