RCU Forums - View Single Post - SIG Four-Star 60 Build
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 01:56 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Actually, everything I've read, both in books and magazines or in build instructions have never said anything about hard points. In fact, many of the older books I've seen actually recommend a slight crush into the balsa. I know, times and information change but these older books used to be almost like an instruction manual to build an airplane. I do use hardpoints, or something similar, in my boats since they have to withstand much more in the way of stress and pounding while testing and racing since, as we all know, water is almost as hard as concrete when something is skimming across it's surface. That said, I do like the way you install them but, something I'm wondering is, since you're using straight dowels to make them, have you ever had one pull out? With the set up you showed in your picture, it seems to me that using a slightly larger dowel and tapering it down to your 3/8" and installing it from the opposite side might make a stronger assembly since the base, being larger than 3/8", would hold the hard point in while the larger tapered end would preclude it pulling through or, with parallel sides, out.
The following users liked this post:
Wully (12-21-2021)