RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need some feedback on a scratchbuilt design
Old 04-02-2019, 11:20 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Sifez, Welcome Aboard.

Lnewqban is right, it's tough to really tell much. But the numbers do seem decent enough. Especially if you can meet the 35oz total flying weight with the 60 inch span. It'll darn near being a glider at that wing loading.

The airfoil might not be the best choice though. It's rather thick for a slower flying airframe. I'd opt for the 2412 if you want to stick to the NACA series. And perhaps you should also consider the idea of 2412 at the root and symmetrical 0009 at the tips with some lower value of washout to work with the flying wing. And by all means with these airfoil shapes go with the max value for sweep or even more sweep. Otherwise it'll start to be closer to a plank style wing and you'll need to use a totally other airfoil that has a much lower pitch moment.

Outside of that the rest doesn't really mean much other than it's a flying wing. And a fairly high aspect ratio too. Which is good for trying to meet the expected weight but perhaps not realistic if you're new to building model airplanes. It'll require fairly careful choices to keep the airframe light enough to hit that weight target.

I think you're also barking up the wrong tree with a motor that only uses a 6x4 prop. That's VERY small for a model intended for longer flight and FPV. And a Kv=2200 that only needs a 6x4 prop indicates a fairly low total wattage motor.

It's tough to nail down cruise and max speeds. But I suspect that it'll take more motor and prop than you noted down to hit those numbers.