RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need information on small turbine jets
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 09:04 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

OK, so let's deepen the discussion (but keep the info on small jets coming - I need all that I can get)...

In the U.S., you need a turbine waiver to fly a Multiplex Funjet with a P-20. Does the fact that you can fly a Funjet with a P-20 mean that you are safe to fly a 55lbs twin turbine model of a Mig 29?

My answer is NO, it doesn't, so doing a waiver flight on a P-20 powered Funjet shouldn't give you a full turbine waiver.

Does doing a waiver flight on a Boomerang Spring with a K-120 mean that you can fly the same Mi-29?

Truthfully, no, but it is a lot closer than than the turbine Funjet - its bigger, faster, has a higher wing loading, has retracts and flaps, and makes a much bigger mess if it bites the dust.

Should you do a waiver flight on the Mig-29 itself?

Absolutely NOT! OK, so where do you draw the line?

The 12 lbs is arbitrary, but what should be in its place? I believe that there should be a lower limit for the full turbine waiver, but if its not 12 lbs, where (or what) should it be? Maybe retracts, flaps, and above a certain wing loading?

Or, should there be a "small turbine waiver" for guys who just want to fly turbines under 12 lbs, dry (like we have a turboprop waiver)? Is there enough demand for that? As far as I know, no one has applied for the turboprop waiver, so it seems there we might have solved a "problem" that really wasn't a problem. Is that the case here?

Bob

Last edited by rhklenke; 04-18-2019 at 09:07 AM.