RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need information on small turbine jets
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 02:08 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Imho

As a Turbine CD, IMHO, I lean more towards complexity of the jet. Complex being flaps and retracts. After all, how many of us can run fast enough to hand launch a jet that weighs 12# or more? Or even 12# or less? I can’t. Catapult, dropped landing gear, or taking off from a cart is about the only way. We’ve always known that flying bigger is better and easier to fly with a larger C.G. envelope and lighter wing loading. The smaller C.G. envelope jet can be a higher wing loading and less forgiving. After all, besides money and egos, why else have the jets becoming so large with light wing loading? Because they are easier to fly.
Another way to look at this could be Sports Jet Class and a Military Jet Class. There’s a huge difference in flying technics, the abilities of skill, and understanding a very high wing loading. And understanding that most fighters need to approach in a 5 degree nose high attitude coming down final? Most guys don’t know this fact. Instead they keep the jet high, when they think it is time, they chop the throttle and dive for the runway. Usually ending up too fast, forcing the landing and maybe bouncing down the runway running off the end, if they didn’t cart wheel it. Their Military Jet they are flying like their Sports Jet. Their Sports Jet, they are flying like their Prop Plane. I’ve successfully helped guys who have had expensive transition to Military Jets trying to do it on their own. I think that Military Jets are more difficult for the average pilot, then a 55# Viper. Which goes back to the question, can a guy who can fly a 10# Viper go fly a 55# Viper? Well the FAA allows a Private Pilot to attain his Private Pilot in a C-152. Then the next flight, he can go hop in a non complex single engine up to the weight of 12,500#.

I’m with BarracudaHockey who stresses the operation and safety of the turbine. One of my main questions is: On your jet, how many ways can you abort the start in an emergency? Most of the time there are 5 or 6 ways. Some have come to me for the waiver, trained by someone else, and usually miss 2 or 3 ways. And this varies with set up. But, something to think about for safe operation for the waiver. To be courteous and aware of jet blast with start up and taxi, especially break away thrust and what foamie, light electric planes are behind the jet in the pits. Our taxiways point right into our pits and pavilions.

Just be aware that the more we limit ourselves in the AMA for insurance, will probably be put into affect later when the FAA decide to control the waiver application. Could happen! Who’d of thought getting a FAA license for a quadcopter and multiple copter drones? I never did, and flew professionally for a living.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 04-18-2019 at 02:30 PM.