RCU Forums - View Single Post - What is best 'House Paint' to use? And, anything special used for Airbrush thinning?
Old 04-19-2019, 07:57 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

OK, very experienced builder here (well over 50 years) but I have never used latex on an RC model. Some years ago, I experimented some with less than great results so I've always stayed with what I know .... Klass Kote epoxy (or the old K&B for many years before that) or any of several catalyzed automotive urethanes .... either single stage or BCCC. Now in retirement, I no longer have a good place to spray the more exotic paints though when I do, I set up a tent in the back yard as a spray booth. Working on a couple of scale WWII projects, I'd like to try latex again but most of the articles, threads I read are getting a bit dated. I need some direction to get headed in the right direction. I have a variety of paint guns that range from siphon touch up guns (old Binks 15) to commercial HVLP gravity feed guns with a compressors to match so equipment shouldn't be a problem. Brushing would be fine also if that works! All the planes already have a fiberglass / epoxy base.

Working on several home remodel projects, I notice the latex paints have changed somewhat over the last few years. They apply and appear a bit different than was normal in the past. I notice very little flow out as they dry. Reading about them on line, commercial users also complain of this claiming the formulas have changes some to satisfy environmental regulations .... especially in CA which of course spills over into the rest of the country. The various companies confirm these changes. Has this change in the products affected the way they apply and appear on a model. The planes are gas engine powered .... no glo.

Any help or direction appreciated.

Last edited by Truckracer; 04-19-2019 at 08:00 PM.