RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 06-09-2019, 10:05 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

Thank you Donny. I've found that if you put tools away as soon as you use them, unless they are required for the next stage of construction, your workshop will remain pretty tidy and you'll be able to find the tools when you need them. I plan to get on with building the Big Guff later today. I've noticed that your shop has a toilet in it Donny. Luxury or what!

I also have a tangential link to D Day.

On 19th August 1942 Canadian Forces landed in strength in a raid on the French port of Dieppe. The objective was to see whether it was possible to capture a port by frontal assault. The Canadians were supported on the flanks by 1000 British Commandos whose job it was to take out the guns which commanded the landing beaches. The Commandos were successful on the right but on the left they did not land in sufficient numbers to be able to disable the guns. The raid was a disaster with casualties, killed, wounded and captured, of 60% or more but it did indicate that capturing a French port would not be easy. Consequently in 1944, they built an artificial harbour at Omaha Beach and at Arromanches from concrete caissons once those beaches had been consolidated. Their remains exist to this day.

My father was a radio operator with 3 Commando which landed on the left flank at Dieppe. Radio operators were tagetted by the defending forces and he was wounded and captured. He was two days shy of his twenty-third birthday and spent the rest of the war in captivity in Poland.

Fifty American Rangers also participarted in the raid. Further information about the raid exists here for those who are interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieppe...llied_analysis