View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 05:27 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Not much on WiKI. But Reading between the lines I surmise the CIA wanted the airplane built by some one else, maybe reverse engineer the plane and get it built for less money. Not sure.
I don't believe the principles are alive today to give an explanation,

1. Airplane
2. less than 25 produced
3. Built for one country but subsequently sold to another country when expectations and mission changed.
4. It could carry more than the pilot
5. The airplane MFG only made 4 different designs. One is quite recognizable (500+) and our Quiz subject is similar in configuration.
6. If you flew this plane it would require a special endorsement to pilot.
7. Unlikely it carried its full compliment of PAX in a combat role. Correction it did carry at least one other crew member so 2 souls on board when in combat.
8. When in combat there was no indication there was any threat from enemy airplanes.
9, Only forward firing ordinance apparently was rockets.
10. It would fit in my T-hangar but the door wouldn't close all the way, too long for a standard T-Hangar.
11. American MFG
12. Equipped with small bombs by today's std.
13. The Company didn't last and the largest production airplane was tried to put back into production after ownership changing hands numerous times, latest attempt 2004
14. The CIA was investigated as possibly trying to put the original company out of business but never went any where.
15. "Conventional"
16. Power plane was the venerable Prat and Whitney PT6 Turboprop.
17. This plane could be classified as being a member of a small group of aircraft that came into prominence in the 50's and onward.
18. Relatively inexpensive the class of planes were produced by many different MFG from all over the world.

Sparky