RCU Forums - View Single Post - Best way to glue / attach metal bits to plastic
Old 06-30-2019, 05:28 AM
Crius

Received 150 Likes on 132 Posts

I would at least pin them. You can even do that after the super glue, just drill a little hole and glue in a tight fitting brass or plastic pin.Two per hinge if you have the space. You see, the trouble with super glue is that it has very little sheer (?) strength. You can't pull the piece straight off, but go sideways and it snaps much easier. The pins make it much harder for the piece to move sideways, so the super glue works much better.

For sticking stuff like stowage and wiring and a ton of other stuff, I like Zap Goo. It's like sho goo, but for me it's been easier to find, and it works great. It holds stuff like jerry cans and bed rolls right where I want them, they won't come off (well, for at least four years on some of my stuff, we're still experimenting) but if I ever do want to remove them it's fairly easy and doesn't leave a big residu mess. To use it for wiring I run the wires and stick them in place with tape, them add dabs of goo along the run and remove the tape later. Those wires won't ever move (I've got some tanks, like my JP that are still in place after five years) but I know if I ever need to I can pull the wires and you'll never know they were there. No, I don't work for Gap, I just really like this stuff. Maybe I should buy stock.

Hope that helps.