RCU Forums - View Single Post - TF Beechcraft Bonanza F33A Build
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 11:14 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Part II - Hinging the Elevators to the Stabilizer

With all the hinge point locations marked on the stab's TE, I use the scribe tool that is screwed into your square and make an indentation in the center of the pencil marks. If you don't have or lost the scribe tool an awl works just as well.

This is what it should look like.

I find it convenient to have all of the tools that I need to install hinge points in one storage box. I'm using an old servo box for this purpose.

This is a jig that Robart sells, if you want to install your hinge points straight and true it's really a must have. The threaded top knob is removable insert that will accommodate the different size hinge points that Robart offers which are 3/32,1/8 and 3/16. I've installed the 1/8" hinge points insert for my application. Be sure to use a new or sharp 1/8" drill bit, which I've equipped with a depth stop that you can find at your local hardware store.

Place the jig over the TE of the stab, insert an awl to locate the indentation previously made ensuring the hole is drilled at the correct location. You could also just look through the top hole and just site the indentation if you prefer. Stay tuned for Part III...

Last edited by VincentJ; 07-02-2019 at 11:39 PM.