RCU Forums - View Single Post - Carl Goldberg Buckner Jungmann rebuild.
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 05:08 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Carl Goldberg Bucker Jungmann rebuild.

So i recently bought a CG Bucker Jungmann off a fellow. I was pretty excited because I have wanted one of these since I was about 8 or 9 and I looked through Dad's Tower Hobbies catalog.
It was assembled while I was looking it over. Cosmetically it needed some TLC. As far as I could see It looked good structurally. After spending some time with the guy and looking at the rest of his stuff I let my excitement get the better of me and I left with only a minor review of the plane.

Now that I'm home and looking, It needs some minor fixes. It is clearly an older plane. Probably has seen a decade or so of life. I know it has has at least 3 owners including me.

The motor, a Webra 1.60, is pretty loose. There is not a lot of compression, but he says it runs like a bat out of hell. I'll have to wait to find out, as right now I have to strip the plane and see if I can get the old soaked wood clean enough to glue what needs glued, and recover.

The rudder has what appears to be 21 Century Fabric, or something cloth like. The rest of the plane is monokotw, so I assume it has had at least one recover. The placement of the servos, and remnants of where they use to be also indicate some modifications along the way. I don't see any obvious signs of a structural rebuild.

So the cover is coming off to be able to clean the oil. I started with a heat gun to boil out the oil, but there is too much surface needing cleaning. This evening I tried alcohol and corn starch mixed into a slurry and applied liberally. After a couple house it brushed off and appears to have taken a good deal of oil with it. By no means did it clean it all, but I'm in good spirit about getting enough out to do what is needed.

This is going to be a process I'm not all that familiar with, as I

The advertisement photo for the sale.

Fabric style cover on the fin/rudder.

Cleaned some of the oil with a cornstarch and alchohol slurry.

Uncleaned side.

The first structural problem was noted with the cabane struts. I thought maybe they were just a little loose, but realized the wood is compromised. This will probably be the biggest repair that is needed. I don't believe it to be too dificule to fix.

The front lower mounting block was #2 problem I found. It is cracked right at the blind nut.

The grubby Webra 1.60 with evidence of smoke fluid burned on the exhaust.
usually crash my planes before they need a strip and recover.....

Last edited by CHassan; 07-12-2019 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Typos