RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sullivan Starter Switch Re-build
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2019, 03:55 PM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sullivan Starter Switch Re-build

I am right in the middle of re-building a couple of 40 yr old Sullivan Starter Switches. These two motors have very little wear on them but the years have taken a toll on the switches. I am in the process of finding some rubber I can use to make the switches work properly. At the moment I am looking at hollow weather-stripping. I am sure Sullivan sold millions of these starters so I thought I would post a little information that may prove helpful to others that own some very old Sullivan Starters with switches that have degraded over the decades. (yes I am an old school nitro guy and no I do not care if nitro is dead or there is little interest. I go my own direction)

Well here they are. Two of the Sullivan's that were SO popular back-in-the day

These pads are not good and longer. They have degraded over time. No more compression and no more return

Side view of squish-pads. Compression pads would be a more sophisticated call-out for a bill-of-materials.

The over-all dimension, outer face to outer face, is very close to .250". The conductor thickness is approximately .020"

The sleeve appears to be a hollow core rectangular weather seal. Over-all dimensions 0.5" x 1.0"

Last edited by Lee Taylor; 08-06-2019 at 02:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Poppys (12-11-2021)