RCU Forums - View Single Post - SkyMaster MB339 Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 11:08 PM
richbran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear ???
Yes I still fly my MB339, it is in perfect shape, all is working very nice, and still looks very new.
It was once heavily modified a few years ago. A complete redo of the air systems and electronics. I moved all the batteries as far as possible to the front, I even put the engine as far as possible forward, so I had to order a new thrust tube, which they made even lighter by using only a double skin in the last part. So I could take out all the lead from the nose!
The CG is now right under the backside of the main spar tube.
Just in case You have to add nose weight, I glued lead plates (the material they use on roofs, that You can shape and bend easily) directly to the fuse's skin in the nose wheel bay, well above the nose gear when retracted. There is ample room there.
The engine is still a P160 but whenever I can get a good P180, I will probably change it. I sometimes fly it off grass and then I could use some more ooommpff. Because the weight has gone somewhere between 24 and 25 kgs over the years.
The Unilight.at light system is awesome, even in bright daylight visible. It greatly enhances the sight of its bank angle during flights in winter time, close to sunset.

I still like to add a few more scale details, like antennae, pitot tubes in front of the cockpit, tank stabilization screws. And better quality cockpit "tubs"plus instruments, plus larger pilots, as the original ones are too small.
Below pictures on my regular airfield, a disused part on a full size runway.
Richard