RCU Forums - View Single Post - Blast from the past..Dumas Miller American convert to brushless
Old 09-11-2019, 06:12 AM
flycaster2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Diedrich
Question for flycaster: What is the size of the cable that is in the boat? If it is 3/16" I have been told
that most of the modern day electric motors on 8-12 cells will break it very easily, as the torque is
instantaneous with brushless electric power versus the "wind-up" with nitro power. I have been told on
any 1/8th scale FE boat to go with 1/4" drive cable with the shaft stepped down to 3/16. Just an
FYI before you go much farther into the conversion.

Bill D
Morning, it's a 1/4" cable. I actually don't remember if it's stepped down, but looking at the image, looks like it may be a full 1/4" all the way. Will have to look at it when I get home.
And yes, a very good point on the torque wrap, being almost instantaneous on FE vs. gradual on the nitro.
So starting the interweb search on motors,100mm? running around 850kv and a "waterproofed"/water cooled 130/150 amp esc, nominal 8s (or4s2p) with "headroom" for 10s.Now I realize I will need a water cooling jacket for the motor, but most of the motors I see are "open frame?", vs. a few that look like they are more "enclosed" i.e. Leopards? Any benefit over one or the other?

Thx
I can see cooling benefits for the open frame type, but any advantages of the more fully enclosed motors, i.e. water "resistance"?

Last edited by flycaster2; 09-11-2019 at 06:27 AM.