RCU Forums - View Single Post - New CARF P-51D Project
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 01:58 AM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Wings Progress

Been making progress on the wings so far...

Air tanks installed
Flap and aileron servos and linkages all checked and finalized, extensions made
Landing gear and air lines with restrictors installed

The gear doors.... let me just say that on this kit these are probably the biggest issue I’ve run into so far. I have sliced and trimmed and twisted and manipulated these parts to get them to fit nicely to the wing. The position relative to the gear is off so you just have to make them work. The outer door is the toughest one to install. The stock pivot with the aluminum tubing was not compatible with the retract gear so I had to cut that out and make my own. Once the gear is in you have to figure out the door pivot geometry with zero reference. I’m at the drag linkages next now that the door is installed in the left wing. More on that later once I figure out the relationship between the gear and the door and the wing.

The clamshell door air cylinder location was also a tough one because of the tight fit. I wanted a more scale position but since the giant wing tube is in from of the wing spar it interferes with the location of the air cylinder. I had to compromise. I used a Robart 5/8 dis. medium sized air cylinder but I had to make an internal stroke limiter. I used brass tubing cut to about 27mm to remove the excess travel internally. This way I didn’t reduce the internal volume too much. Now the doors will have nice large and powerful air cylinders to keep the big

doors from opening in flight.