RCU Forums - View Single Post - Here's something you don't see every day...
Old 10-02-2019, 05:10 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

The Panther has for power what in my mind has become the most bullet proof model 2 stroke: a Webra 6.5ccm / .40" CID "Blackhead"
engine in 'Stamo' ( stationary motor) configuration meaning it has a integral rear fan for cooling. The Tiger has an Enya 45 XTV. Both engines
have similar power output at about .75bhp. The Panther weighs about 75 pounds and the Tiger about 60- it uses thinner chassis construction.
The Panther has again what I consider the gold standard of model tank transmissions: Maier's 3 speed ( 3 fwd + 1 reverse); again very robust
and reliable when set up properly and maintained. The Tiger has a single speed fwd/rev unit unique to Seiki and further unique to their
gas powered models also very reliable, robust. It's drawback is speed. I like slow stump pulling power, never high speed. It's on the furthest back
burner to devise a speed reduction for these or some form of 2-speed system.

Glad you like that IBU! I plan on using some of my remaining ones in my smaller 1/10 scale guys and pile of 1/16 scale projects. I've reached a point
where while I still love my gas jobs; will always enjoy them and have several yet that I plan to build (including a 1/10 scale Elefant with gas-electric
drive analogous to the original) I concede the utility of electric.

I would now never recommend anyone get into gas/glow for power but I still love it. I bought off on the sound and smoke 45 years ago, it is what
it is, no pretense, no simulated anything; what you see and hear is real....they'll never sound like a Maybach, Wright radial or Merlin...

Jerry