RCU Forums - View Single Post - Here's something you don't see every day...
Old 10-02-2019, 02:05 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Hilarious, that is more than my car payment and full coverage insurance....
Well Erik as I said in the thread on Bandai Hummels: something is only worth what someone will pay for it.

There are a class of things that are just a bit different than the rest, to those for whom money just isn't seen the same
as it is for the rest of us. That Panther I ran in the video above, I originally sold it during the time in the latter 1970s to the very early 1980s
when i represented Maier's products here in the States. The fellow who owned it is a member of one of the most wealthy
families in the US, a media tycoon whose name would easily be recognized by many. I stayed in contact with the handful of people
I had done business with long after I stopped my operation and this one fellow decided he was done with the model and I had
the chance to re-purchase from him in the late 1980s. To these folks these things are just another curiosity, one of thousands
they encounter; expensive by our regular standards. After an extensive rebuild it is as you see it.

If you look at longevity as a attribute of value, these models hold theirs. Barring unfortunate events these things will outlast us all,
they'll certainly outlast me. My original, original Panther that I bought new in 1976 still runs as well as when I first built it, just as
the one in the video, 43 years later...

When it comes to an asking price? As the old Disney melody says...."When you wish upon a star...." People ask me every so often
why I don't ever or at best rarely sell anything. It's because I'm not a salesman, I never learned the art of convincing people of worth, value.
To me a person who has a passion for a thing has already sold themselves; they don't need me. I actually intensely dislike convincing others
that an item is worth more or worse has extraordinary value. I expect people to recognize it on their own. If they don't I can't help them see it.

Jerry