RCU Forums - View Single Post - Design a fast airboat outrigger
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 04:57 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Get ready to puff some LiPo packs then. One problem with FE boats - the batteries do not last real long....

This is simply not true. It’s exactly like me saying that nitro boats always burn out plugs in the middle of the lake, they lean out and die all the time, and the fuel goes bad fast. Clearly you don’t have much if any direct FE experience, just what you read on the internet.

I’ve been racing LiPos for over a decade and have never puffed a cell. This is with over 50 packs, I lost count. Some packs have been raced for four years and are still running strong. The dozens of FE boaters I raced with have similar stories. These are high amp national-level race setups, not hopped-up RTRs.

True, cheap packs don’t last that long, but the OP wants fast, so at least mid-range quality packs will be needed. Packs puff because folks don’t understand what setup to use and over-amp them, or run them until they are under 3 volts per cell. If the OP will tell us how fast he wants to run and what hull he is planning on copying, someone with FE experience can help him get there. Lots of successful air-prop hydros out there, I’ve had a few.