RCU Forums - View Single Post - Heng Long 6.0 IR Battle System review
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 03:46 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan123
Hello,

This is a great report. Thanks for writing it.

With the Tamiya BU one can angle at 45 degrees to deflect a hit can the new HL BU also do that? Sorry if you mentioned it already and I missed the mention. I did a search in the word angle and did not find mention of it and skim read the rest.

I have a T72 as well and have been experimenting and it does not look like you can angle with a HL BU.

Thanks

Alan
Answers appears to be both yes and no depending on range, lighting conditions and IR bulb power. Within 25-35ft(~12m) I have found it takes 360 degree hits. Past that there are angles that are much harder to hit such as the direct rear or rear turret sides. Unlike the Tamiya Apple the new HL does not have a “mirror” directing the IR beam so it can be inconsistent. Also the HL system has in my testing shown to being less sensitive as your battery power drops(harder to hit). We start seeing this happen around the >45% level. Just something to be mindful of.

Side note: I changed the battery to a rather large 9.6v 4200 Mah as the stock battery is hopelessly to small . This requires some additional internal mods but greatly improved the over all performance of the tank operations and made the IR system more reliable over a longer period of time.

The T72 specifically, needs to be shot at low for consistency of hits (this was tested with two different new HL IR receivers) During battles some have thought it was not taking hits. It turns out they were aiming at the top of the IR receiver when the aim needs to be the bottom of the IR base. So hard to hit yes it can be, but just until one learns were to shoot it. This though is not uncommon even with Tamiya vs Tamiya tanks.

Long winded but hope this helps.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 11-08-2019 at 11:07 PM.