RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gee Bee Y 50CC 97.4'' RC Airplane
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 11:53 AM
DaleD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hpergm
The maiden flight video shows just a spec on the horizon, so let's move on to the first landing.
Things got interesting on that one: speed variations caused constant aileron trim changes, so throttling back for the approach was causing an overtrim right aileron condition compared to cruise flight/speed. After a while, I decided to start shooting approaches by just holding the roll by the stick (no time to re-trim). Best strategy was to avoid a long shallow final and apply a "carrier approach" instead in the form of a sweeping descending turn (so I could hold aileron on the same side all the time) followed by a shorter final. After a couple of approaches, it became evident that the plane was nose-heavy (nose-down upon throttle cut and the ensuing speed-up) and I was constantly overshooting the runway. Moving further away and maintaining a lower-altitude downwing leg we were finally able to land in one piece.

But not before one more surprise; a couple of dogs entered the runway, coming into our field of view right in the last seconds. This put the modified lateral cable supports of the L/G to the test because we were just able to kick rudder and swerve out of the way of one of the dogs who had entered the runway right behind us.

Needless to say, the L/G held up, the dog lived and the plane was down in one piece - thanks to some divine intervention most probably.
Nicely documented below:
https://youtu.be/aAuL0HrJLXw
VERY nice video, thanks for sharing. It would appear she’s needs to approach a little hot(speed) to maintain - reasonable approach slope.

I've been emailing Maxford on a monthly basis for maybe the last 4 months trying to secure one of these models. For some reason I fear they will no longer be available as Maxford has not been able to provide an ETA for new stock.

Waiting patiently

DaleD