RCU Forums - View Single Post - Good Carb for vintage .30 sized engine Help!
Old 11-21-2019, 05:40 PM
meowy84

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Funny that you would mention carburetor equipped cars. Back in the day I had a 455 powered Trans Am. For normal street driving I would use the stock Rodchester Q jet with a Edlebrock performer manifold, for autocross I would swap out to a 650 cfm Carter for smoother transition and better bottom end torque. For the drag strip I had a Holly dominator intake with a 750 double pump carb. Of course there were different sets of distributor weights and springs to dial in the timing advance for each setup.
That was back in the day when these cars were actually affordable for the average guy. How times have changed. The prices for the traditional 'muscle cars' these days are ridiculous.
Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r

The OS carburetor is NOT a metered airbleed carburetor. The difference between a metered airbleed and a standard airbleed is in the barrel. The barrel of a metered airbleed carb will have slits milled into it that feeds metered fuel at low throttle. What this does is turns the airbleed into a trim instead of a normal airbleed. Traditional airbleeds allow a set amount of fuel through based on needle setting and barrel opening and the airbleed controls idle mixture via adding more air. You can get a finer setting with a metered airbleed carb such as the Enya. Older engines aren’t timed aggressively and as such may require a finer carburetor setting to operate well - remember that this engine was designed to run WOT all the time. The Enya carb has a slight midrange adjustment as well - move the fuel inlet out further from the carb body. The OS May have this as well, but it doesn’t have a metered barrel. If you have the OS 2A, try it. It may work. If not, get an Enya. Probably one from a 25SS will have a metered barrel. The old .19s didn’t have a metered barrel, but they work o.k. I have one from a .19 on my MDS .21 Marine Diesel.
Aha, now I get it. So let me get this straight. When you were referring to trying an Enya carb you didn't actually mean any old Enya such as the very old Enya .19 series all the way to the Enya .19V. While "airbleed" they are not "meterer airbleed". You meant old but newer (if that makes sense) Enya .25SS correct? Now, just in case I have a hard time hunting down one of these Enya .25SS carbs, what are some other examples/engine brands with metered carbs?

As for the Forster (the 1952 F-29 that is) being designed for WOT you're right. In my defense though I picked it for 2 reasons. First it was and still is very common and so prices are low and availability is high. The other more important reason I picked it to tinker with as opposed to some of the other old engines out there (such as O&R) was that through some research there seemed to be a concensus among the 'old timers' that the Forster lends itself well to throttling (there's a couple of videos out there) and it was also actually designed for glow (as opposed to being designed primarily for spark ignition). Some of the other old engines do not handle glow very well at all. The O&R (.19, .23, .60) comes to mind as having a nasty habit of being unable to handle glow because of the method or cylinder-to-crankcase attachment and so having a tendency of popping the cylinder right off.
Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Fox EZ just metered carb barrel. It's metered by more and less of the slit overlapping the matching number in the carb body.
Metered carb barrel:
Thanks for the pic, worth more than a 1000 words. So Fox carbs also have this metered airbleed? All of them or just some?