RCU Forums - View Single Post - TopRCModel FW-190
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 11:33 PM
cathurga

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys,

I've read a lot about the rubbish retracts that come with the plane, and in fact, I have Electron units fitted on the plane I bought. What I have found though, is that the Electron units, as brilliant as they are, have a VERY small footprint in the mount position, and they are eventually going to cause a failure in the mounts unless I beef them up to the max. I am reluctant to do this as it will mean opening the fibre glass, and I am not intersted in that really. So, the other plan is to get some of the original parts, namely the retract body, perhaps with the new electric offering. I dont need the oleo's, wheels, tail wheel setup and controller. All I need is the retract frame, trunnion and the support arm between the frame and oleo. I am going to see if the electric motor/gearbox is up to snuff, but I doubt it. Alternatively, it looks like I can retrofit some Electron linear actuators in their place.
So, the question is, what was WRONG with the original sets, without referring to any pneumatics, as I wont be using that. Was it bad geometry or similar. Iknow that Darryl mentioned the oleos are too thin and some bad machining or something, but outside of that....what gives?

My local dealer says TopRC will help get the parts, but I dont know what I am in for, money wise....waiting to hear. He had a set of the original air units, and they look pretty sturdy and have a decent action to them, and they will fit in the right places....I will just mod the action.
Appreciate any positive criticism...