RCU Forums - View Single Post - New to RC aircraft and just bought a kit
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2019, 12:29 PM
Clackamas Hillbilly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Sounds like you went to R/C Hobbies. The Kadet Sr. Is a pretty good choice for your first airplane. It sounds like you will be learning from square one. That being the case a 2 stroke is going to be a little easier to deal with although IMO a 4 stroke suits that airplane better. As suggested starndard size and power servos will work just fine. I would also suggest the aileron option.

Clubs in the area, there is one fairly close in Boring. Great bunch of guys, mostly electric as they have valid noise concerns due to location. The field perimeter is fairly small as is the runway. The next closest is in Molalla. Again great group of guys however the field is much larger, has a huge grass runway that gets mowed weekly. This club is mostly gasoline and electric. In the 6 months I have been a member there I am the only guy that I have seen bring out a glow model. No issues doing so though. Both clubs require AMA. The other possible options are a club just across the river in Washington and another in Woodburn. Prior to moving to Happy Valley in June I visited most of the area club sites and decided on Molalla based on most of my flying is pattern and giant scale.

I will be more then happy to help you out in any way I can. Building advise, getting you in contact with a club etc, just ask.

Shawn.
Thank you Shawn, much appreciated! Actually I went to Mad Dawg hobbies in Sandy as I live between Sandy and Estacada and I have done business there before for my scale RC crawler. I stopped in there today and got a card for the Sky Knights club and thought I might go check them out. I'm also planning on grading in and smoothing out a nice little runway in my field. The last guy that owned this property was into RC flying and even had some pylons set up for it. Not sure where he took off and landed from as most of the field was taken over by blackberries, but I've cleared 90% of them out and have a great area to fly in.