RCU Forums - View Single Post - Rant on FAA and why I won't become an AMA member
Old 12-28-2019, 09:07 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jcmors
FWIW, I AM an AMA member. My point is that without someone working on making the RC hobby available and reasonable for everyone, there will be a smaller pool of people to draw on that will want to or need to join our organization. Not everyone who flies RC will join the AMA, but if the regulatory structure of things becomes too overwhelming for anyone to even consider taking up the hobby then where will the percentage of those who become interested enough to join the AMA come from?

If we allow the government to continue to regulate us out of existence as a hobby, where will the future AMA members come from?

If no one advocates or attempts to protect the hobby, in general, then there are no potential members for the future. That is the point I was trying to make.

Not everyone joins the AMA immediately on becoming interested in the hobby, but if there is no more hobby, then there will be no one coming in to draw from for potential members in the future. When the only flying I can legally do becomes flying RC on a Sim, there will be absolutely no need to be a member of the AMA.
You make a excellent point and I agree that the way things are going I can see our hobby being regulated out of existence or to the point where it can easily be banned.